LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Dark Victorian: Risen Volume One
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

My first Kobo purchase...is not a success

So I just bought my very first book from Kobo. I used Dear Author's tips for making sure I knew what I was downloading. DRM-free EPUB, great! I bought it, downloaded it, checked it out in Calibre, and...it was not the right book.

What I was trying to buy was Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M. Valente, one of the works I learned about while constructing my "Sci Fi/Fantasy Written by Women" list. It has an AI in it and sounds fabulous. What I actually got was Myths of Origin by Catherynne M. Valente. Right author, wrong title.

I've contacted Kobo's customer service, but I'm a little confused about what happens next, since the form I filled out directed me to a page instructing me to call between 9 AM and 9 PM from Sunday to Saturday (does that mean seven days a week?). I thought the point of filling out a form was that I wouldn't have to call, and would simply be emailed when the problem was fixed. I'm a little confused.

As a first Kobo shopping experience, I can say I was not impressed.