LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Dark Victorian: Risen Volume One
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Kobato (manga, vol. 1) presented by CLAMP, translated by William Flanagan

Kobato, Vol. 01 - CLAMP

Kobato has to fill a jar with wounded hearts in order to be granted her wish. Before she can even start, however, she must earn the jar by displaying her common sense to Ioryogi-san, her dog companion.

She doesn't have much, but she manages to earn the jar. Then she finds a home for herself, as well as a part-time job.

(show spoiler)

Meh. It's okay. It's pretty, and sweet, but so far nothing special. At this point, there's no info on what Kobato's goal is, what she is (she can't possibly be human, considering her lack of knowledge about how the world works, and she appears to be hiding something under her hat), where she comes from, or why the one animal-like being Ioryogi-san knows might want to hurt her.

CLAMP fans will notice many, many cameos. I was able to catch some, such as the Chi-like girl, her sister, and her mom (all from Chobits), and Tirol, the bakery. Others, I missed. Thankfully, the translator's notes pointed them all out. I have no idea how a CLAMP newbie would react to the cameos, but so far there isn't anything here that I think would confuse anyone.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)