LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

An Extraordinary Union
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages
""I'm not sure I should be saying this, but we teachers...well, we each have our own ideal of what our students should be, right? Their friends are the same way. And parents, well, they have things they want for their children, too. Every one of us has this agenda, this notion of what a given person should be like, and we just push it on them whether it fits or not. Now, it's unlikely that all of us have the same ideal in mind for any particular student. Why, if teachers and parents had their way, the student would be miserable. Take Nakajima. She was a 'good girl' to everybody, right?"

The other man nodded.

"Well, if you ask me, she was just showing each of us the face we wanted to see. What I think is that if Nakajima was getting along with everybody so well, she wasn't specializing in anyone, you understand? She wasn't cultivating any real connections with anybody."

"Even with you?"

Her teacher's face took on a bitter expression. "To be brutally honest, I prefer the students that cause a little bit of trouble--you know, demand a little attention. I always thought Nakajima was a good girl, but when she graduated, heck, I would've forgotten her. We all would have. I probably wouldn't have remembered her if she came to her tenth reunion.""
Sea of Shadow - Fuyumi Ono, 小野 不由美, Akihiro Yamada, 山田 章博, Elye J. Alexander, Alexander O. Smith

Sea of Shadow by Fuyumi Ono, page 231

The universe continues to tear Yoko (Nakajima) down, piece by piece. So depressing.