LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Dark Victorian: Risen Volume One
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

The Story of Saiunkoku (manga, vol. 9) art by Kairi Yura, story by Sai Yukino, translated by Su Mon Han

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 9 - Sai Yukino, Kairi Yura

This is basically a “fluff” volume, although it's not bad – a nice transition from the recent threat to Shurei's dreams to Shurei and Eigetsu beginning their time as joint governors of Sa Province.

The stuff with Ryuren was mostly silly. I don't know that I like him much, but Yukino's attempts to paint him as more than just “that irresponsible weirdo” were interesting. The stuff with Reishin's Shoka masks was just...creepy. I get that Reishin loves his brother, but he needs to scale it back some.

My favorite part of the volume was probably the flashback at the beginning. I enjoyed getting to see young Shoka, who apparently has had to do and see horrible things from a very young age. As creepy as Reishin can sometimes be, I found it kind of touching that he still adores and supports his older brother, even knowing what Shoka has had to do in order to protect the family.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)