LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Tokyo Zodiac Murders (Pushkin Vertigo)
Shika MacKenzie, Soji Shimada, Ross MacKenzie
Progress: 102/316 pages
The Bishop's Pawn (A Marc Edwards Mystery Book 7)
Don Gutteridge
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 112 out of 294 pages.

The Twelve Kingdoms: The Vast Spread of the Seas - 山田 章博, 小野 不由美, Fuyumi Ono, Akihiro Yamada, Alexander O. Smith, Elye J. Alexander

This book has prompted me to google Chinese nobility and titles. It struck me as odd that the kingdom of En (which does have some Western aspects, but I think is mostly supposed to be similar to ancient China) would have dukes and viscounts. The Wikipedia pages I've seen (such as the non-imperial nobility section here) indicate that this is not necessarily a funky translation, though. It still feels weird to me.

After I'm done with all the books, I'm going to rewatch the anime, just to hear what words people use and see what the subtitles are like. For example, I vaguely recall Book 2's "lamia" being "nyokai" in the anime subs. "Lamia" has connotations that didn't seem to fit what Sansi was, although maybe "nyokai" has similar connotations for Japanese speakers? Guh. Reading stuff in translation can be frustrating sometimes.