LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom, Vol. 1
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!, Vol. 2
Satoru Yamaguchi, Nami Hidaka
Progress: 24/171 pages
Graphic Medicine Manifesto
MK Czerwiec, Kimberly R. Myers, Scott T. Smith, Michael J. Green, Susan Merrill Squier, Ian Williams
Progress: 26/172 pages
Ao Oni: Mutation
Kenji Kuroda, Karin Suzuragi, Alexander Keller-Nelson
Progress: 30/152 pages
SPOILER ALERT!

Durarara!! (manga, vol. 4) creator Ryohgo Narita, art by Akiyo Satorigi, translated by Stephen Paul

Durarara!!4 - Ryohgo Narita, Suzuhito Yasuda, Akiyo Satorigi

To be honest, the plot so far is kind of boring, and I'm pretty sure I dislike Mikado. What's he going to do if he starts feeling bored and has no outlet? He may have started Dollars as a joke, but I'm not sure it would have gone viral so fast without the occasional boost from Izaya. Part of me wonders if Mikado wouldn't secretly like to be just like Izaya, able to direct things from the sidelines and amuse himself by messing with everyone's heads.

I wasn't a fan of Mikado's efforts to overlook Anri's friend's stalking behavior. Just because she risked her life for Seiji's sake doesn't mean her past actions weren't stalking. Also, dang but Seiji and Stalker Girl were creepy. At some point, Seiji's going to try to kill Stalker Girl again in order go back to his beloved head. Stalker Girl is no better. Here's what she was fantasizing about: “I'll find that head, grind it into a pulp right in front of [Seiji], pour the remains into my mouth, and make it part of my flesh and blood.” These two make my skin crawl. And Mikado paired them up, OMG.

Anyway, I might continue with this series, just to see more of Izaya bringing on some chaos, but I'm only mildly interested in what's going to happen. I can't seem to connect with any of these characters...which is probably a good thing, since they're nearly all insane.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)