LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Haunting of Hill House
Progress: 179/537 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Naoki Urasawa's Monster (manga, vol. 7) translated by Masataka Kakiya

Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 7: Richard - Naoki Urasawa, 浦沢 直樹, Masataka Kakiya

I love this volume. It reveals that everything Johan has done during the past four years is related. Actually, everything, period, is related – the PI's therapist (or whatever) is a colleague of the criminal psychologist from earlier in the series, and the PI used to be one of the cops investigating the murders Johan committed. Everything was leading up to cutting as many of Schuwald's emotional ties as possible. I'm still wondering about the “why” of everything, but I'm sure Urasawa has something up his sleeve.

Although he wasn't around for long, it was still sad that

Richard died in a way that made it look like he'd gone back to drinking, after he'd just started to mend his relationship with his daughter.

(show spoiler)

I'm also bummed that Tenma has begun shedding the people in his life, like Dieter, who might prevent him from killing Johan in the end. Since Tenma's first instinct is to save others, it's hard to believe that he'll actually be able to go through with his plans.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)