LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Authority: A Novel
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Pandora Hearts (manga, vol. 3) by Jun Mochizuki, translated by Tomo Kimura

PandoraHearts, Vol. 3 - Tomo Kimura, Jun Mochizuki

At this point in the series, Break looks like a creepy user, Vincent is just plain creepy (but also a devoted brother?), and Gil is obsessed with Oz. And Oz is an idiot who throws himself into danger without a single thought.

Again, aspects of Philippe's story and the girl contractor in the previous volume should probably have been combined. Philippe and his father's story is a bit stronger than the girl contractor's, but it still falls flat in the end. Philippe, having served his purpose, ends up being completely forgotten, which doesn't gel well with Mochizuki's efforts to make both us and Oz care about him at least a little. Not a single person asked “Who's going to take care of Philippe now?”, and it bothered me.

One question that occurred to me after I finished this volume: How can killing a Chain free its contractor if damage inflicted upon a Chain affects the Chain's contractor? Wouldn't killing the Chain also kill the contractor? Maybe there was an explanation that I missed.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)