LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

I may be a tad grumpy

It seems like every time an author or superfan has problems with a review, there are at least a few people who jump in and say "That's why I never read reviews. Every 'reviewer' thinks they're a professional, even as they spew their hate."

So I'm wondering, how do these people decide which of the many, many new books to buy? Even if every book is worthy just because someone took the time to write them, it's not possible for the average person to afford to buy everything. How do they decide which author is worthy of their monetary support? Does it bother them that every book they pass over is effort that was not rewarded? That must be so horrifying. If reviewers are actively harming authors by writing low-star reviews, imagine the harm being done by the number of books people opt not to buy every single day. We should all be ashamed. So ashamed.