LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
Vintage: A Ghost Story
Berman, Steve, Steve Berman
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
Progress: 448/553 pages
The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov
Progress: 20/187 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 38 out of 277 pages.

Aerisia: Land Beyond the Sunset - Sarah Ashwood

First person POV is very difficult to do well. It has not been done well in this book. Here's a good example:

"The color of his hair was not the normal white of dotage." (16)

Hannah, the POV character, wears Nikes and lives somewhere with enough open space to raise thoroughbreds. This sentence doesn't feel natural for her. She also doesn't consistently think/speak that way.

There are other issues with the writing - repetitiveness, lazy descriptions, and Hannah making overly helpful assumptions for the reader's benefit. One of my favorite bits of lazy writing so far:

"A sluice of something I can only describe as the essence of purest power surged over me." (21)

Still, I was right about this sounding a bit like Fuyumi Ono's Twelve Kingdoms series, so I'm going to continue. Although I would like for everyone to stop telling Hannah how important she is, so she can stop insisting that she's really just an ordinary girl.