LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Where am I going wrong?

Those of you who download Amazon e-books and then convert them to another file format: where am I going wrong? I've only done it twice so far, and both times involved more steps than I expected for something I've been told is "easy."

First off, "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" means DRM-free, yes? If so, both books were DRM-free, which should have been a regular file conversion in Calibre. I've done that before. Unfortunately, it turned out to be more complicated than that.

My steps: I couldn't figure out how to download directly from Amazon's "Your Media Library" page, so I downloaded the books to Kindle for PC. I could import them into Calibre, and the file sizes were right, but when I tried to open the books all I got were the cover images and a bit of white space. I can't convert a book I can't even properly load. The only thing that's worked for me is finding an online mobi-to-epub converter, using that, and then loading the resulting file into Calibre. I've never heard of anybody who uses Calibre needing a step like that, so I figure I must be doing something wrong.