LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

A Rational Arrangement
Progress: 448/553 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've listened to 13 out of 18 discs.

Dune  - Frank Herbert, Simon Vance

Paul and Chani aren't really all that unusual for a fantasy YA couple*, except normally their roles are gender-flipped. You know, the specialest of special girls has a dream about a gorgeous guy and, to her shock, meets him in the real world. He's somewhat standoffish, but they make significant eye contact a few times, he realizes her specialness, and suddenly they're in love.

Fifteen-year-old Paul has a vision about Chani, whose most common descriptor is "elfin" (as in "Chani's elfin face"). She is initially somewhat dismissive of him because he's an outsider who doesn't always understand the ways of the desert, but then he does something awesome in her presence a couple times. He's a 15-year-old who can kill a grown man in ritual battle! And he may be the one spoken of in prophecies! Suddenly they're tenderly promising themselves to each other (while under the influence of some kind of aphrodisiac, but of course that will turn out just fine).

* - Not saying that this is YA SFF, although I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people read it as teens. But there are elements here that made me think of YA fantasy.