LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Mystic Marriage
Progress: 101/277 pages
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Reading progress update: I've read 32 out of 284 pages.

She's Gotta Be Mine - Jennifer Skully

"Things like this just didn’t happen in the city. Sexual harassment was a dirty word. A man wasn't allowed to look at a woman below the neck. A woman couldn't admit she wanted to be stared at like a sex object." (32)

This book is showing signs of being bad for my blood pressure.

I get it. Bobbie has spent years feeling unsexy, and her husband has left her. Now she's got a new haircut, lost some weight, and started a new life, and hearing that she's been hired as a waitress because her butt will attract customers makes her feel sexy again (for the record, I think she was hired because the place was desperate, and the butt comment was designed to stroke her ego and keep her from running away after she screwed up really badly).

But this comes a little too close to saying "Everyone is just being too sensitive! When men stare or comment on how women look, it's a compliment. One of these days you'll wish people still complimented you on your looks."

Oh, and I live in a small town. Granted, it's not as small as Bobbie's, but still. The point is, small towns aren't exempt from nastiness. We have rape, creepy people, and jerks who won't take you seriously because you're female, just like big cities.