LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Game: Neko Atsume

This post has nothing to do with books, or even stories, because this game doesn't have a story. It's literally just about putting out food and toys in the hope of attracting stray cats, which you can then take pictures of. When they leave, they give you gifts of either silver or gold fish, which you can then use to buy more stuff to attract more cats.

I love this game. I've only been playing it for a few days, but so far it has gotten me through multiple tornado sirens and other stressful stuff. The game is entirely in Japanese, a language I can't read, but that doesn't matter. The cats are adorable. One of these days, when I have collected photos of them all, I will look up romanizations and translations of their names and translations of their descriptions (or whatever those chunks of text are).

It's a nice, low stress game for people who like adorable cats, even if they're just pixel cats. If you don't have time to take a break and put out food every few hours, it's no big deal - the cats won't die or anything, they just won't stop by until you've put out more food.

I know that I have more than a few cat fans among my followers. If you have a tablet or a smartphone, I recommend giving this game a try. It doesn't cost anything (unless you can't stand the pace at which the cats bring you fish and decide to buy some), although I've heard it has some geo-restrictions.

Here's another post about it, plus screenshots (I want those house expansions so bad, look at all those kitties): http://motherboard.vice.com/read/this-adorable-japanese-cat-game-is-everywhere-and-we-tried-to-figure-it-out