LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Mystic Marriage
Progress: 101/277 pages
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

"This bandwagon disgusts me but is making money for other people, so, eh, why not?"

Today is my day for tackling the stack of self-published novels that have been sitting on my "to be cataloged" shelves for a while. While doing a little research to figure out what the author's books were about so I could add subject headings and classify them, I found a bit on her site in which she said that the recent stepbrother trend in erotic fiction disgusted her, so she decided to write one of her own.

I'm not a fan of the whole stepsibling thing either (or motorcycle clubs, or New Adult fiction, or anything that in any way resembles the 50 Shades books), but I don't think the best way to respond to a trend that disgusts you is to jump on the bandwagon yourself. Also, why would you say that on the webpage for the book you're hoping to sell? It puts down those who actually like the stepsibling trend - why alienate the very readers you're hoping to attract? - and makes it painfully obvious you're jumping on a bandwagon entirely for the cash.

I'm not naming names, because goodness knows lots of authors have done similar things. I remember when all those authors of adult fiction suddenly decided to write YA, whether or not they understood what made a good YA novel. Although I don't recall any of them flat-out saying they hated YA and decided to write it anyway.