LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
Vintage: A Ghost Story
Berman, Steve, Steve Berman
Progress: 75/154 pages
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
Progress: 448/553 pages
The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov
Progress: 20/187 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 350 out of 720 pages.

Another Omnibus - Yukito Ayatsuji, Hiro Kiyohara, Karen McGillicuddy

There are no page numbers in this, so I have to guess.

Meh. This is my fourth time with this story - first as an anime, then a rewatch of the anime, then the novel, and now this manga. I think that may have been two times too many. Once again, I'm annoyed at the lengths this story goes to to hide who the "casualty" is. It's not quite as bad as in the novel, but it still feels artificial.

There is apparently also a live action movie version. I really wonder how they managed to hide the "casualty" in that one. The book relies on the main character just not thinking about certain things (ugh), while the anime and the manga rely on

characters' faces looking enough the same that a different hairstyle can make them look like a completely different person. How does it work in a live action movie where you'll have to use the same person in what's supposed to look like two different roles?

(show spoiler)