LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Daughter of Mystery
Heather Rose Jones
Progress: 251/399 pages
50 Girls 50 and Other Stories
Al Williamson, Frank Frazetta, Gary Groth
Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Progress: 20/42 pages
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Reading progress update: I've read 104 out of 347 pages.

Akata Witch - Nnedi Okorafor

So far, this is interesting, although it's aimed at a younger audience than the stuff I normally read (the characters are 12-13 years old, so the intended audience is probably that age or slightly younger).

I do have one issue with the world-building, though. In the world of the Leopard People, education and learning are seen as the most important things. Learning is supposed to be the only way you can earn chittim, the money used by the Leopard People - this is explicitly said in the text. Except there are Leopard People businesses, where you pay for things like books, food, and more using chittim, so there are definitely folks among the Leopard People who do not earn all of their chittim by learning new things. So I'm a little confused. There is no indication that these people are looked down upon. I'm assuming they don't toss away the chittim they earn via their businesses, and chittim would (as far as I can tell) have no value if those businesses didn't exist.