I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.
- Book is written in first person present tense. (This one was written by a favorite author of mine. Every few months I consider buying it, and then I read the excerpt again and reject it.)
- Book is written in a way that resembles a script. (Again, written by a favorite author.)
- Sci-fi book that I thought would make use of actual linguistic principles instead seems to rely on the main character being able to pick up languages like magic. (There's a chance I may still talk myself into getting this one.)
- Book is written in first person present tense. (I tried the sample of that same book's audio version. It worked no better for me while listening to it than it did while reading it.)
- The narrator has a slight lisp. (I do too, but I also don't narrate audiobooks.)