LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Edge of the Abyss
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

It's a long weekend, and I should be cleaning

Instead, I'm all about the books and TV. I figured I'd write up some quickie status updates.

Long weekend book status update:

The Jade Temptress - Jeannie Lin - I have less than a hundred pages to go. Unfortunately, my tablet needs recharging, so I have to wait to finish the rest of it. I prefer Mingyu in this book to Mingyu in the first one - it's nice to be able to see some of what she's thinking. I really like Wu Kaifeng, although his romance with Mingyu occasionally makes me uncomfortable, considering their past history. Plus, I have no idea how Lin is going to give them a happy ending. It's not like Kaifeng can afford to pay for Mingyu's freedom.

Akata Witch - Nnedi Okorafor - I have less than a hundred pages to go on this one, too. Comparisons to Harry Potter are pretty much unavoidable, although the Leopard world shows its brutal side far sooner than I remember the wizarding world doing.

Long weekend TV status update:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - (Japanese anime) I've been in an Elric brothers mood lately, so I decided to do something about it. I considered rewatching the original TV series, but instead chose the reboot. Even as rushed as the early episodes are, I still cried when a couple characters died. I've never seen this entire series and haven't yet finished the manga, so I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes.

Gu Family Book - (Korean live action) I'm so close to finishing this series, so close. I'm not sure why I'm dragging my feet so much.

ST: Scientific Task Force - (Japanese live action) I've only watched a couple episodes, and I'm thinking of giving this one up. It feels like a mishmash of shows like Lie to Me, Scorpion, and Alphas, with a few not-very-effective comedic elements.

K - (Japanese anime) The character designs are sooo pretty. I'd call it 100% fangirl eye candy if it weren't for the naked cat girl. Unfortunately, the world-building and story are kind of meh. I'm hoping it picks up.

White Haired Witch - (Chinese live action) The only movie out of the bunch. Pretty, but ultimately a waste of time. Fast-paced to the point of being utterly confusing.