LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Who?
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Questions & Answers

Inspired by Nya Reads' post.

1. What is your favorite childhood book?

That’s a hard one. I can think of so many books I loved at different stages of my childhood. I suppose I’ll go with Star Ka’at by Andre Norton. I had an assignment in 5th grade in which I was required to read a certain number of science fiction books. I was a fantasy reader and convinced that science fiction was boring and absolutely not for me. Although I can barely remember anything about it now, this series helped change my mind.

Star Ka'at - Andre Norton,Bernard Colonna,Dorothy Madlee

2. E-books or printed books?

Both - I'd say over half my reading is e-books now, but I have by no means abandoned print. E-books are more convenient in nearly every way, but I get more of a feeling of happiness from a stack of paper books. Also, paper books have fewer annoying arbitrary limitations.

3. What is your favorite place to read?

Curled up on my couch.

4. Is there any genre you would never read?

“Never” is a strong word, although I’m less likely to read Christian fiction or Westerns.

5. What’s your review rating system?

Sometimes it feels like my review rating system should be a dart board. In theory, though, my rating system is this:

5 stars = Fabulous book that fills me with emotions (or my head with thoughts) to such a degree that it’s almost painful.

4 stars = Great book, although it had enough issues that I’m not comfortable rating it higher.

3 = Okay book, or something I’m not sure whether I liked or disliked. I mentally attach letter grades to my ratings, and this is like getting a "C" grade.

2 = Didn’t work for me, although I didn’t hate it.

1 = I hated this book and will probably remember what I disliked about it for months or even years.

6. What is your favorite fictional character?

I consider myself a character-focused reader. I don’t have a single favorite fictional character, so much as lots and lots of characters I love. Right now, the ones popping into my head are Kalr Five from Ann Leckie’s Ancillary Sword, Iathor from Elizabeth McCoy’s Herb-Wife, or Loren from Elizabeth McCoy’s Queen of Roses.

Ancillary Sword - Ann Leckie  Herb-Wife - Elizabeth McCoy  Queen of Roses - Elizabeth McCoy

7. What was the best film adaption of a book?

Can I list anime for this one? Either Spice & Wolf or Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. Both are TV series, rather than films, but they're both great adaptations of the books they're based on.

Spice & Wolf, Book 1 - Isuna Hasekura,Juu Ayakura,Paul Starr  Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit - Nahoko Uehashi,Cathy Hirano

8. How do you chose the next book to read?

I choose based on my mood.

9. Top 3 authors?

Hm. Maybe Mercedes Lackey, Robin McKinley, and Neil Gaiman. I haven’t read any of their new releases in a while, but they’ve all written things that had a huge impact on me and/or that I consider to be enduring comfort reads.

10. Is there any book release you are particularly looking forward to?

Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie. I want to read this book so bad it hurts.

Ancillary Mercy - Ann Leckie