LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
Vintage: A Ghost Story
Berman, Steve, Steve Berman
Progress: 75/154 pages
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov
Progress: 20/187 pages

September 2015 Reviews

I finished quite a bit, I just didn't review much. I don't seem to have the energy or patience for reviewing lately. But at least it meant I got to try one of Pic Monkey's collage templates, rather than attempting to squeeze everything into a setup of my own.

I'll write something about all of these this time around, since there are only six.

- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Part One, Episodes 1-13 (anime TV series) - As someone familiar with the original anime and the manga (at least the beginning - I haven't finished it yet, and it's been a while since I last read any of it), this was kind of frustrating. It's incredibly condensed. If you blink you'll miss Ed becoming a state alchemist, and it's kind of painful how few episodes one particular character gets before dying. Still, it's a fun series, and the "new" stuff (the bits where the manga and the original anime diverged) start up in the next set of episodes.

- Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain - A. Lee Martinez,Scott Aiello  - Weird, confusing, and fun, with an excellent narrator. If you like humorous audiobooks and don't really care about being able to follow along perfectly, this might be for you.

- The Angel of Elhamburg - Aki  - Pretty. Tragic. So very Aki.

- Like Clockwork - Helen Stern,Bonnie Dee  - The steampunk aspects are barely there, the romance is awful, and it's very "robots are bad."

White Haired Witch (live action movie) - Thank goodness I didn't buy this. It was a rushed mess. It had a badass warrior woman, and it wasted her in favor of a crappy romance that sucked for everyone. The ending is so sappily tragic you can save time by chugging a mug of maple syrup and tears.

- Problems In Organizing Library Collections - Doralyn J. Hickey  - I was describing this to one of my coworkers, and she now wants to read it. Neat. I still wish there was an updated edition.