LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Who?
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

I saw The Martian today

[I put spoiler tags on one bit that I thought might upset those particularly sensitive to spoilers, although I don't think even that bit tells you all that much.]

I finished The Martian a bit later than planned, but the important thing is that I got to the movie with minutes to spare, and tickets weren't sold out.

This was one of those cases where I thought the movie would be better than the book. Sadly, I was wrong. Most of what happened in the movie followed the book pretty closely, but a lot of things were cut out: some of Watney's mishaps and a lot of the science and math explanations. This had the unfortunate effect of making a lot of what Watney did look a lot easier than it was. Growing potatoes on Mars? Just lay out some Martian dirt and plant each potato piece with a glob of human waste mixture and some liquids. Also, I didn't think this was possible, but the characters in the movie were even thinner than the ones in the book.

The biggest changes:

- Venkat Kapoor became Vincent Kapoor. Why?

- Additional drama at the end.

Watney's dumb idea became reality, and Commander Lewis did something stupid and kind of sappy. There were also epilogues for everyone. The bit that made me roll my eyes was the babylogue. Apparently even minor characters with a barely-there romance must have their happiness proven with a baby.

(show spoiler)

On the plus side, it was nice to get visuals for everything.