LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Finished!

Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie

One of the benefits of a buddy read: I got through this way more quickly than I probably would have if I had been rereading it on my own. Grim, I've been having fun reading your comments, although one or two of them have had me mentally going "OMG must not respond with enormous spoilers!" This is like waiting for someone's surprise party to finally happen.

----------

So, Ancillary Justice. I'm not going to write another review or change my original rating (4.5 stars), although I continue to wonder if 4 stars wouldn't be more appropriate. Or 5, when I think about the things I loved the most. So 4.5 stars is probably a good compromise.

I still felt the beginning was overly slow. I prefer the book from the glass bridges point on (except for the horribly tragic flashback, which wasn't bad so much as I prefer not having to read through tears). I liked Seivarden more this time around, in part because I knew how everything was going to go and therefore didn't have that sliver of doubt that she might turn around and betray Breq.

And the bits at the end with Mercy of Kalr were better this time around too, for similar reasons. It's nice to know how things are going to turn out - I enjoyed getting to note all the little things that I know will be important later in the trilogy.

I'll start Ancillary Sword tonight.