LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Book Tag - How I Read

I've seen at least three people do this (Bookloving Writer, Nya Reads, and The Moonlight Library) and have decided to join in.

How do you find out about new books to read?

Lots of different ways. Sometimes I see interesting reviews on BookLikes, or I spot something in a publisher email. Sometimes I find stuff by browsing books in one of my favorite online or physical bookstores – usually I look for sale items, or things with specific tags, or freebies.

How did you get into reading?

I’ve been a reader for as long as I can remember, so I’m long past remembering how it happened. I’m just grateful that my parents generally let me read whatever I want.

How have your tastes in books changed as you got older?

Sort of? I started off as a primarily fantasy reader, and then got into horror. It took a class assignment to get me to even try sci-fi, at which time I realized sci-fi wasn’t nearly as boring as I had assumed. Then for a while I read lots and lots of romance. I still consider myself a romance reader, although I’ve gone back to reading more sci-fi and fantasy.

How often do you buy books?

Whenever I’m in the mood. I guilt-trip myself about money too much to go on huge spending sprees all the time, but I’m grateful that I’m at a point in my life where I can generally afford to buy whatever books I really want.

How did you get into reviewing books?

I wrote reviews long before I started book blogging, but it was very sporadic. I became a regular book reviewer and blogger about 7 years ago. I was close to jobless, depressed, and needed something to keep me occupied while I waited for responses after sending out job applications or doing interviews. The read-alikes lists I put together for each of the books I review were meant to keep me in practice recommending books, assuming my job search panned out and I ended up in a position where I might need to help library patrons find books to read. It was fun, so I continued that practice, even though I now have a job that rarely involves interacting with library users.

How do you react when you don’t like the end of a book?

That depends on how much I didn’t like it. If I really didn’t like it, or if I enjoyed the rest of the book and the ending was the primary sour spot, I tend to get upset. If it was a mostly blah book, then I usually just get annoyed. Either way, writing a review makes me feel like I didn’t completely waste my time.

How often do you take a sneak peek at the ending to see if there is a happy ending?

If I care about the characters and worry that some might die or get hurt in some way, I’ll probably skip to the end really quick to see if they’re still around or if I’m going to have to brace myself. I only really do this with paper books, though – with e-books, I always worry (maybe irrationally) that my e-reader will lose my spot if I try briefly skipping to the end, even if I bookmark it. And so I continue to fret for the characters.

Do you use bookmarks in your books?

Not things meant as bookmarks, no. When I was younger, I tried to be good and use real bookmarks, but I’d always lose them. Now, I use scraps of paper, junk mail, anything I have that’s flat enough and that has a low risk of hurting the book. (As I type this, I’m thinking of stories I’ve heard of pancakes or bacon being used as bookmarks. No. Just no.)

Finally, I am tagging everyone who wants do this too!