LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Buddy Read: Page 145

Ancillary Sword - Ann Leckie

I'm morbidly curious about the Presger. Are they the only aliens that breed their own translators? And the way they collected the necessary information to do that... But then I don't imagine many humans would have been willing to travel into Presger territory and spend time getting to know them, what with the Presger history of taking humans apart for amusement.

I always thought Dlique was kind of disturbing, and that feeling increased after I finished reading the trilogy. But I also wonder if the Translators aren't in a precarious position as well. I mean, if the treaty with the humans were to ever be broken, would there be much need for the Translators anymore? Not that Dlique seems to have much of a grasp of what's required for her continued existence. For example:

"I'd much rather have stayed on my ship, but they said there was a hull breach and if I stayed I wouldn't be able to breathe. . . . Air! It's just stupid, really. I'd as soon do without, but they insisted." (144)