LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Black Friday book shopping

I do my best to avoid shopping at physical stores on Black Friday, but I love shopping online. I decided I'd post what I bought now, rather than waiting until Thursday, in case anyone else wanted to snatch this stuff up too. (Keeping in mind that I have no idea if any of these sale prices apply to those outside the US.)

I'll note the few that weren't actually on sale. I figured that, since I was already buying stuff, I might as well pick up a couple cheap titles I'd had my eye on.

First, the Audible stuff. These are all things currently on sale for $4.95. I'm grateful to Hunger for Knowledge for posting about this sale, since I couldn't find a link to it anywhere on the Audible site. (ETA: And now I see the link to the sale, right there at the top of the main page. Did I just not notice it somehow?)

Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases - The Great Courses,Professor Roy Benaroch,The Great Courses  Midnight Riot: Peter Grant, Book 1 - Ben Aaronovitch,Kobna Holdbrook-Smith,Tantor Audio  The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro,Simon Prebble,Tantor Audio

Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases - The Great Courses,Professor Roy Benaroch,The Great Courses - I've never listened to one of Audible Great Courses audiobooks before, but this sounded fascinating and made me think of the doctor who eventually diagnosed me with Hepatitis C.

Midnight Riot: Peter Grant, Book 1 - Ben Aaronovitch,Kobna Holdbrook-Smith,Tantor Audio - I enjoyed this in paper book form. For the most part, the narrator sounded good in the excerpt, although even that small clip had moments when his voice seemed a bit odd. Some reviewers disliked that he occasionally seemed like he was out of breath. I hope that doesn't turn out to be an issue for me too.

The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro,Simon Prebble,Tantor Audio - I wasn't able to make it through the only other book by Ishiguro that I've tried, The Unconsoled. However, I'm willing to give him another go, and the narrator sounds like a perfect fit for the story.

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas (Audible Audio) - John Scalzi,Wil Wheaton  A Beautiful Friendship: Star Kingdom, Book 1 - David Weber,Khristine Hvam,Audible Studios

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas (Audible Audio) - John Scalzi,Wil Wheaton - Yes, I already own this in paper form, and I haven't read it yet. I'll start with the paper book. If I love it, then listening to the audiobook shouldn't be a problem. If I don't love it, maybe I'd like it better as an audiobook.

A Beautiful Friendship: Star Kingdom, Book 1 - David Weber,Khristine Hvam,Audible Studios - I've never read any of Weber's Honor Harrington books, although I have lots of them on my e-reader. Still, the narrator sounded okay, and I'm totally on board for telepathic treecats.

Now for the Kobo stuff:

Tooth and Claw - Jo Walton  Binti - Nnedi Okorafor  Alien Emergencies: A Sector General Omnibus - James White,David Langford

Tooth and Claw - Jo Walton - This is currently on sale. I feel a little bad about this one, because I know that the library I work at purchased it for our Overdrive collection specifically because I requested it. I really should be reading the library copy, and yet nearly every Overdrive book I've checked out has had me scrambling to finish before my due date. Now I can take my time.

Binti - Nnedi Okorafor - This is not on sale, but its normal price is pretty cheap. I've wanted to read this one for a while, in part because it's Okorafor's first (I think?) space opera, and also in part because OMG look at that cover art.

Alien Emergencies: A Sector General Omnibus - James White,David Langford - Medical science fiction! Space station doctors!! I stumbled across this because I was thinking about Mercy of Kalr's Medic and wanted more stuff with doctors in space. This one is not on sale, but it's cheap - a collection of three books for $2.99. I'm a little nervous about it because 1) it's the second omnibus collection and I'm not sure if it's okay to start the series at this point, 2) I saw complaints on Amazon about OCR errors, and 3) reviews say it's dated in ways that might bug me.