LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Vintage: A Ghost Story
Berman, Steve, Steve Berman
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Chi's Sweet Home (vol. 11) by Konami Kanata, translated by Ed Chavez

Chi's Sweet Home, Vol. 11 - Kanata Konami, Ed Chavez

Mrs. Yamada and Yohei briefly leave for a trip to Hokkaido, causing Chi to wonder if they've been taken away to a new home. They do come back, but Chi can't stop thinking about the whole “other home” thing. She keeps almost remembering her other home. Then she

meets her real mom, who calls her Sarah, and Yohei discovers a “lost” poster with a picture of Chi on it. Mr. Yamada is going to be taking a job in France, so the family is running out of time to decide whether or not to return Chi to her original owner.

(show spoiler)

I can't believe this series will be over in only one more volume. I'll miss Chi and her adorable antics.

That said, this wasn't one of the better volumes in the series. There was a bit more anthropomorphizing than I'd have liked. Also, the increase in potential heartbreak made me long for the earlier volumes, when it was all just about the Yamadas learning to live with a cat and Chi running around doing kitten things. When I read this series, I'm looking for happy and uncomplicated fluff, darn it. Instead, I got a mama cat who's been missing her baby and looking for her all this time and the Yamadas contemplating moving to an entirely different country.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)