LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Alliance In Blood
Ariel Tachna
Progress: 63/210 pages
To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
Progress: 448/553 pages
The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov
Progress: 20/187 pages

Natsume's Book of Friends (vol. 2) by Yuki Midorikawa, translated by Lillian Olsen

Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 2 - Lillian Olsen, Yuki Midorikawa

First story: Natsume is roped into visiting a haunted building by a classmate who suspects he can see yokai. Sasada just wants to thank a yokai that once helped her. Second story: Natsume is cursed and must deal with it before his life force is sucked out or he's eaten by the yokai's shadow. Third story: Natsume meets Natori, an actor who exorcises yokai on the side (or maybe he's an exorcist who acts on the side?). At first, Natsume is excited, but he soon realizes that he and Natori don't always see eye-to-eye where yokai are concerned. Fourth story: A yokai asks Natsume to lend his body to another yokai so that she can play music one last time.

This volume was nice, although it's already possible to see how the episodic format might get old. Natsume's explanations about Nyanko-sensei, Reiko, and the Book of Friends at the beginning of each chapter are a bit repetitive.

This volume has a mix of both bittersweet yokai-human relations, yokai-yokai relationships, and even a bit of slight horror (the creeping shadow, which I thought was creepier in the anime). While I liked it, it didn't move me in quite the same way as the first volume.

One thing: Didn't Sasada stick around much longer in the anime? In the manga, she moves away after the first story in this volume, and she didn't turn up again in any of the next few volumes I read.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)