LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Haunting of Hill House
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Skip Beat! (vol. 33) by Yoshiki Nakamura, translated by Tomo Kimura

Skip Beat!, Vol. 33 - Tomo Kimura, Yoshiki Nakamura

In order to help Ren regain control over himself, Kyoko embraces her Setsu persona – her behavior with Ren is more sexual than it's been in pretty much all the earlier volumes combined. It forces her to come to the realization that

she loves Ren. So basically he's back in control of himself, but Kyoko is desperate and shaken to her core. When one of the people on set develops a crush on Ren/BJ, things become strained. Ren tries to apologize to Kyoko, and Lory witnesses Kyoko in an unguarded moment, battling her newfound emotions for Ren and acting completely out of character (she's still supposed to be Setsu).

(show spoiler)

Wow. I know it's been 33 volumes, but it honestly doesn't feel like the series has been going on for that long. I had expected Nakamura to milk Kyoko's cluelessness for a lot longer. Maybe forever.

While I know that Lory will probably be thrilled at a Kyoko/Ren pairing and that Ren probably wouldn't react nearly as negatively to Kyoko's love as she seems to think he would, Kyoko is an absolute wreck. Now that Kyoko has finally realized that she's in love with Ren, I'm going to guess that future volumes will focus on her learning to accept that love doesn't have to destroy you and turn you into something lesser, weaker, and easier to stomp on.

(show spoiler)

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)