LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Haunting of Hill House
L. Rowyn
Progress: 179/537 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Alice in the Country of Clover: Cheshire Cat Waltz (vol. 6) story by QuinRose, art by Mamenosuke Fujimaru, translated by Angela Liu

Alice in the Country of Clover: Cheshire Cat Waltz, Vol. 6 - Mamenosuke Fujimaru, QuinRose, Angela Liu

Alice leaves the Hatter Mansion with surprisingly little trouble. Unfortunately, then Ace interferes and almost gets Alice killed via a land whale (it lived in the water in the Country of Hearts, and continues to exist in the same space in the Country of Clover, even though that area no longer has any water). He's lonely and wants Alice to stay lost, like him. However, Boris and Pierce team up and save her, and Alice is finally able to bring herself to ask Boris if she can live with him (he's thrilled, which should surprise no one). Alice is still in danger from the mob, by the way.

The short from the previous volume continues: Alice is worried about Boris. She meets up with him again at the ball (with Gowland as her date) and is tripped by Boris's jealous admirer (the woman he hugged in the previous volume, to see if hugging her affected him as much as hugging Alice). However, Boris only has eyes for Alice.

I do plan to check out the seventh volume so that I can officially finish this subseries up, but I have to say that Cheshire Cat Waltz is a mess. It's too unfocused. We have an unstable Ace and his dangerous interest in Alice, Boris's jealousy (which is maybe/hopefully resolved after this volume?), and those mobsters who think they can use Alice against Blood.

QuinRose's Wonderland can be a bit dark at times, and this is a good example of a darker volume. Ace continued to be awful, in ways that could have gotten Alice killed, and Elliott tortured and killed someone who infiltrated the Hatter Family, showing the Hatters' more brutal side.

Again, only half of the volume is devoted to the main story. The other half is a bunch of jealousy – Boris is jealous of the relationship he thinks Julius and Alice have, and Alice is jealous of the Faceless woman she thinks Boris likes. Unfortunately, the one bit that I was interested in, Alice's vague memories of her sister telling her something, appears to have been forgotten. I hope that Volume 7 finally tells readers what it was that Alice's sister told her.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)