LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Tokyo Zodiac Murders (Pushkin Vertigo)
Shika MacKenzie, Soji Shimada, Ross MacKenzie
Progress: 102/316 pages
The Bishop's Pawn (A Marc Edwards Mystery Book 7)
Don Gutteridge
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Black Butler (vol. 16) by Yana Toboso, translated by Tomo Kimura

Black Butler, Vol. 16 - Tomo Kimura, Yana Toboso

Ciel continues to try to find Derrick and the other students that were supposedly transferred from Red to Purple House, going so far as to start a fire at Purple House. However,

Derrick turns out not to be there, leaving Ciel with the Headmaster as his last hope. He learns that he has a chance to meet the Headmaster if he distinguishes himself at the big cricket tournament. Under Ciel's direction, Blue House uses both tricks and outright cheating (a bad meat pie) to beat Red House. Meanwhile, Green beats Purple (that combo gives me B5 flashbacks).

(show spoiler)

This volume's bonus: Black Quiz (basically, a Slumdog Millionaire/Black Butler crossover).

I do not understand cricket. And not even Toboso's diagrams were able to help me. But I did enjoy Toboso's attempts to capture the drama of sports manga in her cricket segments.

This arc has definitely snagged my interest. So far, it seems as though Derrick and the others may have been used for something nefarious.

One thing I loved about this volume was the flashback to Ciel's father, who used to be the prefect of Blue House. He looked like what I imagine Ciel will look like if he manages to live long enough to make it past puberty, and I'm sure he was just as devious as Ciel now is, considering that he used his cricket win to make Diederich his slave.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)