LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Progress: 20/42 pages
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Alice in the Country of Joker: Circus and Liar's Game (vol. 5) story by QuinRose, art by Mamenosuke Fujimaru, translated by Angela Liu

Alice in the Country of Joker: Circus and Liars Game, Vol. 5 - QuinRose, Mamenosuke Fujimaru, Angela Liu

Ace and Boris both admit they love Alice, but Alice finally comes to the realization that she loves Blood – not as the shadow of her tutor, but as himself. She plans

to tell Peter and Vivaldi and leave to go live permanently at Blood's place. However, Peter may have finally decided to become more aggressive about pursuing Alice. Also, Alice now has a mysterious key (possibly to her sister's jail cell?).

(show spoiler)

The more I think about it, the sadder this world is. While Blood isn't a comfortable character, not by a long shot, I can admire his determination not to let Wonderland turn him into a thing for Alice's amusement. He flat out admits that he had initially planned to kill Alice, just to see if he could do that to a beloved outsider like her. In a way, he reminds me of Ace, although for some reason he works better for me here than Ace did in Alice in the Country of Clover: Ace of Hearts.

This one, like Alice in the Country of Clover: Cheshire Cat Waltz, is on the steamier side. Unfortunately, there seems to be more steam than actual romance – Alice's declaration of love loses some of its oomph because Blood doesn't seem to be particularly affected by it. He's possessive and wants her to stay at his mansion, but that's nothing new.

One interesting bit of info: we learn that

Peter has been lying to Alice all along. He told her that she could go home after she filled up her vial by talking to Wonderland residents. However, what the vial was being filled with was actually her feelings of guilt at not wanting to go home. She could have gone home at any time.

(show spoiler)

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)