LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Alliance In Blood
Ariel Tachna
Progress: 4/210 pages
To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
Progress: 448/553 pages
The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov
Progress: 20/187 pages

Alice in the Country of Joker: The Nightmare Trilogy: Dream Before Dawn (vol. 1) story by QuinRose, art by Job, translated by Angela Liu

Alice in the Country of Joker: Nightmare Trilogy Vol. 1: Dream Before Dawn - Yobu, QuinRose, Angela Liu

Nightmare, who is weak, sickly, and often coughs up blood, wants to prove that he can be relied upon, so he goes on a survival trip with Alice. Then he agrees to play the violin for her, but no one shows up because everyone's afraid of him. Alice tries to help by

disguising him, which causes Joker to accuse her of trying to erase him so that he'll be better liked.

(show spoiler)

Extras: A brief story with Alice and Boris, set in the Country of Hearts. Then, in Country of Clover, a story in which Alice runs an errand for Blood and is followed by Peter.

I really, really hate Job's art style. It's messy, and people's faces look odd.

Also, this story is boring. First the survival trip, which felt like filler (who starts a story with filler?),  then the failed concert, and then a cruise. I know that this series is going to include romance between Alice and Nightmare, but it feels forced so far. And Nightmare is an inconsistent and confusing character.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)