LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
Vintage: A Ghost Story
Berman, Steve, Steve Berman
Progress: 75/154 pages
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
Progress: 448/553 pages
The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov
Progress: 20/187 pages

Alice in the Country of Joker: The Nightmare Trilogy: Late Night Nightmare (vol. 3) story by QuinRose, art by Job, translated by Angela Liu

Alice in the Country of Joker: The Nightmare Trilogy Vol. 3 - Yobu, QuinRose

Alice makes Nightmare accept an invitation so that he can maybe make friends, but it's actually a father hoping to arrange a marriage for one of his daughters. Alice feels jealous and distressed. Then Alice goes off to work as an assistant in Joker's circus, and Joker

stabs Nightmare as part of a magic trick. Later, Joker stabs Gray and turns him against Nightmare. Things finally come to a head as far as Alice and Nightmare's relationship is concerned.

(show spoiler)

Extras: A short in which Alice frets over the fact that Nightmare doesn't seem terribly interested in having sex with her. (Spoiler: he's interested, but he's being a gentleman.)

Alice is incredibly annoying, pouty, and jealous. She forces Nightmare to accept an invitation he was going to reject, and then gets jealous because she's not as pretty as the Faceless woman being shoved at him. Never mind that most of the role-holders barely seem to notice or remember individual Faceless, and never mind that Nightmare only met with the woman and her family because Alice herself insisted.

This wasn't worth the time it took to read it and if I were a Nightmare/Alice shipper, I'd be unhappy (oh you poor Nightmare/Alice shippers, you got nothing but crappy volumes, I'm so sorry). It didn't feel like this trilogy was written with any sort of plan in mind. Stuff kept happening, and then Alice and Nightmare fell in love. The end.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)