LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Tokyo Zodiac Murders (Pushkin Vertigo)
Shika MacKenzie, Soji Shimada, Ross MacKenzie
Progress: 102/316 pages
The Bishop's Pawn (A Marc Edwards Mystery Book 7)
Don Gutteridge
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 164 out of 548 pages.

Alien Emergencies: A Sector General Omnibus - James White, David Langford

"Extraterrestrials were different, sometimes wildly and weirdly different, and during the early stages of contact a great deal of caution was necessary until a full understanding of their physiological, psychological and cultural background was available. But there was no such thing as an evil race. Evil or anti-social individuals, perhaps, but not an evil species."

One of the things I like about this book - no inherently evil aliens.

One weird thing about this book, though, is that the characters don't seem to have off-duty existences. No non-coworker friends or family who worry when they're in danger or who want to know when they'll finally be off duty (seriously, the main cast has either been in quarantine or on the ambulance ship for a few weeks now). The only evidence of private lives I've seen is that Murchison (the gorgeous pathologist of my past couple status updates) and Conway appear to be more than just friends.