LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Daughter of Mystery
Heather Rose Jones
Progress: 251/399 pages
50 Girls 50 and Other Stories
Al Williamson, Frank Frazetta, Gary Groth
Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Progress: 20/42 pages
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Reading progress update: I've listened 192 out of 555 minutes.

The Man Who Knew Too Much: Alan Turing and the Invention of the Computer - Paul Michael Garcia, David Leavitt

I remember when I was a kid and my mom would tell me that I needed to do something at a later time, or remember something. She got in the habit of forcing me to repeat whatever she'd just said, because otherwise I'd probably forget it a few minutes later.

This audiobook is all the talking, with none of the actions (repetitions or note-taking) on my part to make sure I remember. I have a feeling the original book had a LOT of diagrams and equations, and I'd probably be making better sense of them if I could see them.

I think I'm still getting stuff out of this, although I've probably mixed up a lot of the details in my head. I can see the start of computer programming in Turing's ideas about machines that take a set of instructions and do various things. It's kind of breathtaking that we've gone from the simple theoretical machines he envisioned to the computer I'm now typing on.