LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Princess Prince
Progress: 91/806 minutes
The Kneebone Boy
Ellen Potter
Progress: 62/280 pages

Reading progress update: I've listened 189 out of 909 minutes.

Jurassic Park - Scott Brick, Michael Crichton

I've finally reached the bit that I loved every time I watched the movie: the moment when the park's visitors see their first dinosaurs (Apatosaurus).

Book to movie comparisons (I need to rewatch the movie after listening to this, to check my memory):

- The beginning is very different, with tiny dinosaurs apparently running wild for months before Hammond invites visitors to check out his park.

- Book Hammond is very much a salesperson, and not quite likeable, despite (or because of) the enormous amounts of charm and "trust me" he slathers on. I recall movie Hammond being more likeable, although I suppose I'll see if I feel the same way after rewatching the movie.

- The book spends a lot more time setting the science-y stage than I remember the movie doing. Lots of info on what people have accomplished in terms of genetic engineering, DNA extraction, etc., in an effort to make "and this guy grew himself some dinosaurs" more plausible. If I were reading the book, rather than listening to it, I probably would have skimmed some of that stuff.