LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Fall Into Darkness
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've listened 909 out of 909 minutes.

Jurassic Park - Scott Brick, Michael Crichton

Now that I've finished this, I'm behind by 6 reviews. Ugh.

Anyway, I hope to re-watch the movie this weekend, so I can check my memories. As far as I could tell, the movie and the book were actually pretty similar up to a certain point. There were little differences, but the bones of the events were the same. At some point, the little differences really began to add up, though. Characters would go to some of the same locations I remembered in the movie, like the infamous kitchen scene with the raptors, but different things happened. Different characters lived and died (and the character list, in general, was a little different).

Beyond the movie vs. book stuff, I'm not really sure what to think. Assuming my re-watch goes well, I prefer the movie, although the book did improve. There was some stuff in the book that just made me shake my head. The way the computers are Jurassic Park were programmed, Grant's whole "we have to take responsibility and count and kill all the dinosaurs ourselves" determination (which fizzled and was then forgotten by everyone), and Malcolm's confusing "science messes everything up and doesn't actually improve anything, and everything was better back in the Stone Age, but I'm not saying I want humans to go back to the Stone Age" rant/lecture. I have a feeling that Malcolm was Crichton's author stand-in character.