LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Who?
Progress: 448/553 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 26 out of 400 pages.

Out - Natsuo Kirino, Stephen Snyder

One good thing about tonight's after-work excitement: it got me to mop my floors and clean my tub. That tired me out, so I picked a new book to read before going to bed. Tomorrow I'll see about looking over my lease and talking to my apartment management. ::sigh::

Anyway, this is a bit different from most of the Japanese novels I've read, which are usually written for teens. So far, it stars a group of women in their 30s, 40s, and 50s who all work at a boxed lunch factory. There's Masako, who I don't know much about yet, Yayoi, a pretty young mom with an abusive husband, Yoshie, a widow who acts as caretaker for her mother-in-law, and Kuniko, a woman who has gotten herself deeply in debt by buying the things that fit the kind of life she wants rather than the one she has.

Kuniko just tried to get a better paying job but was flat out told she was too old (she's 33) and not attractive enough. Yoshie just learned that the fast food place her daughter will be working at offers high school students more per hour than she makes per hour doing back-breaking work at the factory. I have a feeling I'm going to need a happy fluffy read after I'm done with this book.