LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Who?
Progress: 448/553 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 92 out of 400 pages.

Out - Natsuo Kirino, Stephen Snyder

Yayoi has killed her husband (not a spoiler - it's mentioned on the back of the book and happens fairly early on). So far, responses have gone something like this:

Yayoi: I don't know what to do. Masako can you help me?

Masako: Sure. Don't worry, I'll take care of everything. (Me: ::too stunned by the instant offer of body disposal help to even sputter::) Hey Yoshie, you borrowed money from me. Want to pay me back by helping me out with this one thing...?

Yoshie: OMG, what is wrong with you??? You should call the cops. I don't want any part of this. Wait...you mean I can have the money in his wallet? Okay, I'm in.

Kuniko: So, Masako, since you gave Yoshie money I was thinking maybe I could borrow some from you too....

And some guesses for the future:

I figure Kuniko is pretty much doomed. Either the loan sharks will get her, or she'll blackmail the other women for money and they'll kill her, or she'll break down and go to the cops and end up in jail too. I'm going to guess that option 2 is more likely.

Yayoi is also doomed. She thinks she's free now that her husband is dead, but three coworkers know what she did and at least two of them will probably be blackmailing her for as long as they all live. These women keep calling each other friends, but they're really not.

Yoshie and Masako are probably also doomed, because this just seems like one of those books. I'm sure that the rapist-murderer will get involved at some point, because Yayoi's husband owed him money.

(show spoiler)