LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

His Favorite (manga, vol. 6) by Suzuki Tanaka, translated by Ivana Bloom

His Favorite, Vol. 6 - Suzuki Tanaka

In the first chapter, Sato tells Yoshida he wants Valentine's Day chocolate from him. He also enacts a plan to keep all the girls at school from giving him chocolate. Then Sato, Yoshida, and Yoshida's friends investigate the creepy rumors that have been going around the school, much to poor, easily frightened, ghost-fearing Yoshida's dismay. Finally, Sato, Yoshida, and friends “vacation” at Tsuyako's tropical island, leaving Yoshida with some intense memories.

I enjoyed this volume, although it didn't have as many memorable events as some of the previous ones – it's been long enough since I read it that I had to flip through it in order to remind myself what happened.

Murakami was back, and hamming it up. He really should join the Drama Club. I appreciated that

the girls weren't so obsessed with Sato as to try to force themselves between him and his “girlfriend,”

(show spoiler)

although then the Drama Club went and proved once again that the girls at this school are generally just the worst. Ugh. On the plus side, Sato smiling as he carried Yoshida away was adorable. And it'd be wonderful if the T-shirt he was wearing on the title page for the next chapter actually existed in the story itself. I can just see it now: Sato proudly wearing a shirt with a giant image of Yoshida's face on it, while Yoshida cringes in horror and embarrassment.

The “ghostly” rumor investigations were okay. The best part was when Sato very nearly told Yoshida's friends that he likes Yoshida. I'm actually a little surprised that there has been no evidence, so far, that Sato is hurt by Yoshida's continued fear that word of their true relationship will get out. Even if he understands why Yoshida doesn't want anyone else to know, I'd think he'd still be at least a little upset about it, especially when you consider how obvious it is that he'd like to tell people and is past caring how people might react.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.)