LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Against the Paw
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

A possible reading game

I'm considering trying to play a reading game with myself. I've come up with a few rules already, and I really like the idea of it. It's just that I'm such a mood-based reader that I'm not sure I'll have the willpower and discipline to stick to it.

The basic rules:

Finish a book. After that, I can pick a new book based on a word from the title of the book I just finished.

- The word can't be an article (a/an/the). Nouns are preferred (plural vs. singular doesn't matter), but adverbs, adjectives, verbs (tense doesn't matter), and prepositions wouldn't be considered cheating.

- Since I'm trying to get through more of my physical TBR, my choices would be limited to books in my physical TBR.

- I have to keep the chain going for as long as possible, but I can't look ahead. For example, if I were doing this with Natsuo Kirino's Out as my first book, I could search and see that I have Big Guns Out of Uniform and Out of This World as options for my next book, but I couldn't check how many options either one of those books would give me for the book after that.

- Manga, library books, and e-books are all outside the game, in an effort to keep me from feeling too boxed in.

- I may need to add some kind of time limit onto it. Like, if I find that I'm taking 3+ weeks to get through the book and it's because I keep turning to my "outside the game" reads, it's an automatic end to the chain. The next book starts things over from the beginning.

If I end up doing this, I'd be starting with From the Heart.

ETA: Ooh, I just thought of a variation of this involving cover colors. Start with the first book, and then the next book either has to have a cover that's the same dominant color as the first or a dominant color based on a secondary color from the first cover. Not as easily searchable, but it might be a less limiting way to play around with my reading and get through my physical TBR. Plus, the resulting chain could make for pretty visuals. :)