LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

To Terminator, With Love
L. Rowyn
Progress: 179/537 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Audiobook narrator preferences: male vs. female

Hm. Have any of you ever heard it said (in publishing circles, listener anecdotes, etc.) that audiobook listeners prefer male voices? A self-published author whose work I generally enjoy brought this up today, which may explain why most of her audiobooks are narrated by men. I had wondered about that - even the ones that feature a relatively equal number of male and female POV scenes, or even more female POV scenes than male, tend to have men narrating the audiobook versions.

I had never thought I preferred male voices over female, but I just looked at the numbers. I've given 12 audiobooks 4 stars and above. Those audiobooks represent 10 different narrators, 7 men and 3 women. That said, my ratings aren't just based on the narrations, they're also based on how much I liked the books, so these numbers don't paint a complete picture. I feel like genre probably also has an effect.

Have any of you other audiobook listeners out there discovered that you have a preference for male voices over female, or female over male?