LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Alliance In Blood
Ariel Tachna
Progress: 63/210 pages
To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov
Progress: 20/187 pages

Fellowship of Fantasy ABC Challenge - K

The original post is here.

I'm going with Keladry (Kel) from Tamora Pierce's First Test (technically, from the whole Protector of the Small Quartet, but the first book is the one I've reread the most). Everybody loves Pierce's Alanna, the girl who pretended to be a boy in order to become a knight, but I prefer Kel. Kel becomes Tortall's official first female page. Although she doesn't have to hide the fact that she's a girl, she does find herself dealing with bullying and prejudice.

She's physically different from a lot of fantasy heroines I can think of, stockily built. She has no magical abilities that I can recall, although she did make friends with some magically intelligent birds. Oh, another amazing thing, although her books do have some romance, I distinctly remember being very surprised that she didn't get married and was, in fact, single at the end of the last book.

Hmm, I really need to reread the whole quartet sometime.