LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Alliance In Blood
Ariel Tachna
Progress: 63/210 pages
To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov
Progress: 20/187 pages

Fellowship of Fantasy ABC Challenge - M

The original post is here.

I managed to narrow it down to either Moist von Lipwig from Terry Pratchett's Discworld books or Maia from Katherine Addison's The Goblin Emperor.

I settled on Maia in the end, because I love that he's a character whose main strength is his kindness. He goes from being a mostly forgotten and unloved youngest son to emperor in an instant, and not everyone is happy about this. There are huge gaps in his knowledge, and people who want to trip him up or even kill him, and he deals with it by taking a risk and trusting a few people, being nice or at least civil to nearly everyone, and learning as quickly as he can. Being kind doesn't solve all his problems, not by a long shot, but he does win over several key individuals.

Ruthless schemers can certainly be lots of fun (there's going to be at least one of those in my picks for this challenge), but it's nice to see characters like Maia manage to survive horrible political machinations too.