LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

On page 132

Ancillary Mercy - Ann Leckie

See, Grim, I'm not really that far ahead of you...

I haven't even tried to get on Booklikes and post status updates, because it's so achingly slow today. Well, also because I've already posted dozens of status updates for this book in the past.

I don't know that I have a lot of new things to say, but I've been jotting things down on a notecard as I've been reading. Here's what I've got so far:

- I still wonder how the treaty with the Presger came about, if humans couldn't even talk to them without ending up dead. Did the Presger decide on their own, after taking a bunch of humans apart, to try building a few (the Translators)? I suppose Anaander Mianaai could have repeatedly tried to talk to them, and then repeatedly died, but somehow I doubt that. If there was no visible sign of progress, I just can't see Anaander doing that.

- I would very much like a Queter and

Sphene

(show spoiler)

spinoff.

- The little fish cakes make me think of taiyaki, although I don't think that's what they are. For one thing, the filling means that taiyaki aren't really the same all the way through.

- The Translator eats a lot. There's evidence that Presger ships are bigger on the inside than they appear to be on the outside. I wonder if Translators are too?

- It just occurred to me that Breq complimented Mercy of Kalr's handling of Seivarden by telling Kalr Five (91), even though she could just as easily have silently told Mercy of Kalr. Making sure that the praise for Mercy of Kalr is more public? Acknowledging Mercy of Kalr's preference for treating its soldiers like ancillaries? Or did it just seem like the appropriate thing to do at that moment? Breq isn't normally comfortable with Mercy of Kalr speaking through its human crew like they're ancillaries.

- Tisarwat's fears about what the AIs will do if humans can no longer use their accesses against them are exactly the kinds of fears I see in so much AI fiction. I vastly prefer fiction that doesn't treat all AIs with suspicion and fear.

- (109) Station: "I never thought I'd like a ship." ♥

- (117) "Oh, Fleet Captain. It's very difficult talking to you sometimes. It seems like you understand things and then you say something that makes it obvious that, no, you don't understand at all."

I think this is the first time I've reread any of the Imperial Radch books since starting to read C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series. The way Leckie and Cherryh approach language, translation, cross-cultural understanding, etc. is very similar. The Translator's statement, here, reminds me a lot of something Bren said, I think in Inheritor, about it being hard to tell how atevi will interpret human actions. There are deceptive similarities in the way both species react to, say, the death of a relative. It can be easy for atevi to ascribe atevi motivations to human behavior, or vice versa, until something happens that shows them they've gotten it all wrong. Unfortunately, it can then be hard for everybody to realize the precise moment when misunderstandings started to occur.

-----

I may read a bit more tonight, or just stop and continue tomorrow. I'll keep doing things the way I've been, limiting my status updates. I do wonder how much longer Booklikes will continue to exist.