LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Edge of the Abyss
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Buddy Read: Finished

Ancillary Mercy - Ann Leckie

I finished sometime last night but didn't get a chance to post until now. This is my third time reading this book, maybe my sixth time overall if you include the number of times I've listened to the audiobook, and it hits me in the heart every time.

Some things:

- Station: Oh, Station. I've said this before, but I am so glad it got to be a badass in this book. An adorable badass. I checked Ancillary Sword, and Station is actually pretty young for an AI, maybe 500 years old. It's spent nearly all of that time damaged, with no one even attempting to fix that damage or see to the welfare of the residents in that section. And then Breq arrives. I can't find it right now, but I still love the bit where Station said it was trying to do what it thought Breq might do in its situation.

- Seivarden: The glorious mess. I cried when she broke down in front of Anaander Mianaai.

- Breq's happy ending:

It would have been easy for Leckie to go the other direction. I mean, the trilogy started off with a tragic death - why not end it with one? I can even picture it, although just thinking about it is upsetting: the last fragement of Justice of Toren sacrificing herself to end Anaander Mianaai's tyranny, and Seivarden redeeming herself by making sure everyone continued to move forward afterward. Leckie's ending was so much better than that.

There were multiple opportunities for Breq to die, and I'm very glad she didn't. She couldn't ever get her full body back, but she did get humans and AIs who cared about her and who she cared about in return. ::happy sigh::

(show spoiler)

So yeah, comfort read accomplished. :)