LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Alliance In Blood
Ariel Tachna
Progress: 63/210 pages
To Say Nothing of the Dog: Or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last
Connie Willis, Recorded Books LLC, Steven Crossley
The Moai Island Puzzle
Ho-Ling Wong, Alice Arisugawa
Progress: 30/239 pages
The snail-watcher, and other stories
Patricia Highsmith
Progress: 448/553 pages
The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov
Progress: 20/187 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 94 out of 281 pages.

Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life - Laura Park, Chris Tebbetts, James Patterson

I got this at a conference a few years ago and decided it was finally time to read it.

Reading James Patterson's stuff is always an odd experience for me. I can't seem to help looking for the dividing line between Patterson's influence and his co-authors' writing (I just assume the co-authors did the bulk of the writing).

The first few chapters of this reminded me a bit too much of the awfulness that was The Dangerous Days of Daniel X, but thankfully Tebbetts appears to be better at this than Michael Ledwidge. Rafe, the main character, has switched to calling his Mom "Mom" rather than Jules and sounds less like an adult imitating a middle schooler.

The illustrations are a nice touch. I don't like Leo, Rafe's best friend, though. Rafe doesn't seem to have realized his and Leo's game has him taking all the risks while Leo gets to sit back and be entertained.