LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Blue Sword
Recorded Books LLC, Diane Warren, Robin McKinley
Progress: 73/735 minutes
Daughter of Mystery
Heather Rose Jones
Progress: 251/399 pages
50 Girls 50 and Other Stories
Al Williamson, Frank Frazetta, Gary Groth
Space Battle Lunchtime Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
Natalie Reiss
Progress: 20/42 pages
Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases
Professor Roy Benaroch, The Great Courses, The Great Courses
Progress: 34/725 minutes

Reading progress update: I've read 94 out of 281 pages.

Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life - Laura Park, Chris Tebbetts, James Patterson

I got this at a conference a few years ago and decided it was finally time to read it.

Reading James Patterson's stuff is always an odd experience for me. I can't seem to help looking for the dividing line between Patterson's influence and his co-authors' writing (I just assume the co-authors did the bulk of the writing).

The first few chapters of this reminded me a bit too much of the awfulness that was The Dangerous Days of Daniel X, but thankfully Tebbetts appears to be better at this than Michael Ledwidge. Rafe, the main character, has switched to calling his Mom "Mom" rather than Jules and sounds less like an adult imitating a middle schooler.

The illustrations are a nice touch. I don't like Leo, Rafe's best friend, though. Rafe doesn't seem to have realized his and Leo's game has him taking all the risks while Leo gets to sit back and be entertained.