LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

Binary Storm (Liege-Killer)
Tomoko Taniguchi
Progress: 310/336 pages
FREE: Locke & Key
Progress: 91/806 minutes

Reading progress update: I've read 380 out of 380 pages.

Halo: The Fall of Reach  - Eric Nylund

I finished reading a book! ::tears of joy::

Some notes:

- I wanted to love this, but it was not really my thing. The author cared a lot about things I didn't (long battles with lots of jargon and acronyms), and he didn't care nearly enough about the things I did (the AIs, characters as people with relationships and feelings). It's not that I wanted this to be soft-sci-fi - it's perfectly possible for jargon-heavy military sci-fi to also have great emotional impact. A good example: Yukikaze by Chohei Kambayashi.

- The documents at the end were confusing as heck, especially since most of them didn't include dates. I'm assuming that the stuff about Dr. Halsey being captured took place during the events at the end of the book?

- I've been reading enough of C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner books lately that the way translation was handled in this made me laugh. It was just sort of a thing that happened as needed, and there was nearly always one-to-one correspondence between Covenant words and concepts and human ones.