LG

Familiar Diversions

I'm a librarian who loves anime, manga, and reading a wide variety of genres.

The Tokyo Zodiac Murders (Pushkin Vertigo)
Shika MacKenzie, Soji Shimada, Ross MacKenzie
Progress: 102/316 pages
The Bishop's Pawn (A Marc Edwards Mystery Book 7)
Don Gutteridge
Progress: 20/187 pages
Fluency
Jennifer Foehner Wells
Progress: 58/367 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 412 out of 599 pages.

Illuminae - Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

I only have two days, today and tomorrow, to finish this. Crud.

The story is interesting. Since there's a sequel, I assume Kady and Ezra survive, although it's hard to see how right now. This entire book has been "things are bad, now things are worse, now things are even worse than that." I can't believe that 56% of the people on the ship are still alive and uninfected. Things are just that bad.

The story is gripping, but Ezra and Kady's romance leaves me cold. I'm to the point of skimming any "I love you" talk, and Ezra's ASCII art mastery makes me roll my eyes.

And I have problems reading the parts with especially creative formatting. I can admire the concrete poetry-like look of it, but I end up skimming it at best, because I can't get my brain to figure out how I'm supposed to read the text. It's frustrating.